http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping Add to Technorati Favorites Presidential Politics for America: Introduction

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Introduction

Sorry for the delay in kicking off the new blog, but I’ve been gradually coming down from the high of being named "Time" Magazine's Person of the Year. Like Morgan Freeman at the end of Shawshank Redemption, I’ve been so excited I could barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. In time, however, I realized this new pedestal on which I’ve been placed would be a perfect platform to pontificate my thoughts on Presidential politics. Alliteration aside, allow me to arise an age of acumen…

For the next twenty-five months, from now until January 20, 2009 - inauguration day - there will be a blog post on this site every Tuesday. You, the reader of Presidential Politics, will play two key roles.

First, you will read, you will learn, and you will draw your own conclusions. By the time November 4, 2008 rolls around, if you’ve been reading this every week, you will not be able to walk into that voting booth without knowing exactly why you're pulling your respective lever. (Boy, my freshmen would have loved that line.) Countless Americans are foolishly injudicious on voting day. You will not be. It’s an impossibility. You will learn to make up your own mind, as you will be reading from many different points of view.

Segue to the second role of the readers:

Everyone is welcome to contribute. I will supply the bulk of posts, but not all. Though I am exceedingly confident of my ability to produce more than one hundred weekly posts over the next two years, I encourage those who read to contact me with an idea and give my carpel tunnel a break from the action. The process will be as follows: You will propose an idea, I will say yes, you will write your article on something to do with the race to the White House, email it to me, and then I will post it with whatever moniker you wish. Come on, it’ll be fun. Impact change. Then maybe, just maybe, you might also be known as the "Time" Magazine Person of the Year.

Check in on Tuesday for the inaugural post. The subject will be the candidate de jour - Barack Obama – and his impact on Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Tom Vilsack, Evan Bayh, and the Republican Party. Good times.

3 comments:

Sajid said...

speaking of campaigns: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/12/13/BL2006121300343.html

It's gonna be quite an election.

Anonymous said...

Here's something else to worry about. A president can serve just two terms. Obama's a young guy. He can serve two terms now, or two terms later. Which would be better - to serve now, when the country needs him (or someone like him) most desperately, or in ten or twenty years, when he'll be more experienced, more capable, and have had more time to reveal any lack of integrity?

Also, when you think about it, the presidency would probably be the end of his political serve. (I don't know why, but presidents never go backtoserve their country as senators or governors.) It might be better to let him serve as senator for a few terms, then milk him as president for 8 years.

The next democratic candidate should be the one who stands up and offers a comprehensive platform that defines the Democratic philosophy, clearly and without compromise.

IC said...

John Quincy Adams went back to the well in the House of Representatives.

William Howard Taft went on to be Supreme Court Justice. (Must have been quite a robe.)

But after that, you're right, Presidents enjoy the private sector or become goodwill ambassadors. No more elections for them. I think Obama would break that mold, but it's just conjecture on my part.

and John Kerry was a good Democrat. Liberal guy from a liberal state. He didn't win.

Democrats have to learn to speak the language of the family who actually think sthe religion of a political leader is more important than the economy.

You might call it compromising, but I call it winning. We can't make the changes that have to be made until we're in the oval office again.

cash advance

Cash Advance Loans